Implement a set of simple tools, designed to help QMATIC sales teams deliver more value to their clients by identifying and quantifying opportunities to improve the customer experience
QMATIC is an organisation that we know well. I first met the owners in Sweden way back in 2001, when they provided very basic ticketing systems via a small number of distributers to a handful of countries. They are now a global technology business operating from over 120 countries, with 60,000 customers, providing a broad range of systems, applications and tools within the customer experience management space. However, to make this leap from market leader in queue management systems to customer experience management required a huge change in skills, capability and knowledge. In addition, the CEM marketplace is very competitive, therefore to differentiate and build trust with new clients was a big challenge, especially for regional sales teams.
When we first go into an environment that’s new, we like to say we are going on ‘Safari’. Safari is an old Swahili word, with Arabic origin, which literally means ‘journey’ in its original translation. Today it is internationally understood to mean an organised journey to observe or hunt. We think this perfectly fits with our field based tools and techniques, which are relevant to any organisation wishing to learn more about their customers and the real problems they face. Furthermore, for a product focused business, such as QMATIC, with ambitions to sell new systems designed to improve the customer experience, such tools and techniques can bring huge competitive advantage in fostering relationships and developing sales opportunities.
On this training programme, held in Gothenburg, Sweden, we had the pleasure of working with the marketing director Alistair Agnew (a very passionate guy – he loves that word passionate!) and chairman Terry Green, who you may recognise as the ubiquitous voice of ‘cashier number 3 please’. The programme involved over 80 QMATIC global sales people, participating in an active ‘Safari’, visiting local retail premises around Gothenburg. Sales people, were encouraged to use our ‘Safari’ tools to quantify opportunities for improving the customer experience, develop sales opportunities for their systems and present how they would use our tools to move their own projects forward.
It was important our tools and techniques were simple and quick to use and transferrable to different environments and cultures. In addition to our one day ‘Safari Workshop’, we provided follow up training and support to regional teams, with amazing results. We helped the Nordic team quantify sales opportunities for Silvan DIY stores, resulting in a successful pilot and a 220 store roll out. The Spanish team, secured sales of over 130 Euros at two hospital outpatient units, and a Safari in Holland at a telecommunication business called Bell company, resulted in a 3-month system trial across several stores.
When I last spoke to QMATIC’s CEO, our Safari tools continue to drive growth, profitability and competitive advantage, positioning them globally as a leading player of customer experience management solutions.
This project also demonstrated the power of one of our strongest principles and beliefs, which is the only way any business can deliver a better customer experience is to get out into the field and walk in their customers shoes.
AT A GLANCE:
- Developed a set of simple tools, which global sales teams would be able to use in the field, when visiting clients’ service environments to measure and uncover opportunities, which improve the customer experience
- Designed and delivered a one-day training course called ‘Sales Camp’, involving over 80 QMATIC sales people, participating in an active ‘Safari’, visiting local retail premises in Gothenburg, Sweden
- Designed Safari workshop material
- Trained 4 facilitators, to conduct each workshop
- Successfully delivered 8 structured ‘Safari’ workshops – 3.5 hours each, X10 sales people / group. Each group participated in an active Safari and presented their findings back to the management team
- Follow-up training and support with regional training teams, successfully delivering Safaris with real clients:
- Safari in Nordic area for Silvan DIY stores– identified opportunities to increase sales by 18% resulting in successful pilot and roll out to 220 stores
- Safari in Sweden for Stadium sports retailer (100 stores) – ongoing discussions with prospect for over 2 years. Following Safari client requested proposal for a pilot implementation
- Safaris conducted in Spain at Freemap and Nisa hospital outpatient units, identified benefit opportunities, which secured system sales of over 130K Euros
- Safari in Holland for Bell Telecommunication Company – resulted in a 3-month system trial at 3 stores
- Safaris conducted in Dubai at Nad Al Hammar and Rashid Hospitals secured over $700K in system sales
- Successfully increased system sales by 10% to 20% at key regional partners
- Positioned QMATIC globally as leading provider of customer experience management solutions