Do your investment plans focus on the needs of the customer?
A customer focused organization is one which is designed around the needs of the customer i.e. ease of access, quality, speed, choice, convenience and response, rather than traditional organizational structures and departmental boundaries. To maximize return on investment in customer focused environments, such as a customer service centre, branch, retail store, restaurant, library, surgery or contact centre, will require the integration and management of change of a range of factors such as people, process, technology and physical environment around these customer needs and expectations.
Key to driving a customer focused environment is clear definition of the customer experience and recognition of their needs. The customer experience may be defined as the totality of a customer’s perceptions based on his or her interactions. It is everything a customer sees, feels, hears, touches, thinks and does whilst interacting at each and every touch point. Defining and developing insights to customers and their desired experiences will actually help to divide the space into different areas and define the functionality of each in terms of feelings and perceptions left to the customer. This approach will ensure the design of the new environment is driven by the needs of the customer, their journey(s), purchasing patterns and service needs rather than by physical or technological requirements.
Over the past ten years, Konvergence have partnered with leading technology providers and refurbishment contractors assisting their clients in the design, development and continuous improvement of over 100 public and private sector customer focused environment implementations.
If you or your organisation are designing, developing or trying to improve an existing customer environment, then consider if any of the following questions remain unanswered-
- Do you know your customers and the reasons why they interact with your organisation?
- Have you maximised return on investment in the design or development of your existing customer environment?
- How do you know if you are providing an effective customer experience?
- How will you improve the customer experience on a continuous and sustainable basis?
- How will you use customer insight and customer experiences to drive the requirements for your customer environment?
- How will you know when you have achieved a customer focused environment?
- How do you measure the impact of customer experience initiatives?
- How will you prioritise or target customer experience initiatives?
- What is right for your organisation, your customers or your brand?
- How will you change perceptions and behaviours towards the customer?
- How will you sustain improvement?
Many private and public sector organisations have reaped business benefits from providing an effective customer experience through the development of customer focused environments. Some of these benefits are:
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Increased revenue
- Achievement of government goals and targets
- Increased profits
- Increased referrals
- Increased word of mouth advertising
- Increased customer retention
- Increased employee retention
- Decreased marketing and advertising costs
- Decreased employee training costs
Some of the ways we have assisted organizations in the achievement of customer focused environments are:
- Development of customer focused strategies
- Scoping of requirements for a customer focused environment – people, process, technology and environment
- Customer experience mapping
- Customer consultations and insights
- Customer journey mapping
- Defining process and technology requirements for customer flow management & CRM
- Customer environment optimization programmes – quick wins / non-system / IT
- R.O.I. work programmes
- Post reviews of benefits achieved
- Development of performance management frameworks
- Sustainability and continuous improvement work programmes
- Managing resistance to change
- Programme management
- Business process re-engineering
Please contact us to find out how Konvergence Consulting (UK) Ltd can help you design, develop or continuously improve customer focused environments. Why not ask us to present some of our recent case studies which will give you an idea of lessons learnt, benchmarks and better practices from relevant projects.